400kcal or Less Meal Recipes
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- 4 Large aubergines, sliced into 1cm rounds
- Oil, for spraying
- A handful of basil leaves
- 2 balls of half fat mozzarella
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Small pinch of cinnamon
- Small pinch of sugar
- 200ml of red wine
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatos
- Flaked sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C / Fan 180C/ Gas 6. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Arrange the slices of aubergine on the trays, then mist them very lightly with oil – probably around 3 sprays per tray.
- Put the trays in the oven and roast the aubergine slices until they are soft and the flesh is golden brown in patches. This will take around 40-45 minutes. Remove the aubergines from the oven. You may need to cook the aubergines in a couple of batches.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and fry over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle over the oregano, cinnamon and sugar and give everything a stir. Pour in the red wine and turn up the heat, them simmer until the liquid has reduced by about half. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, simmer for at least 20 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Take a large ovenproof baking dish and spread a little of the tomato sauce on the bottom. Cover with a layer of aubergines and some roughly torn basil, continue adding layers of sauce and aubergines until you have used everything up. Finish with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Slice the mozzarella as thinly as you can and arrange over the aubergines and sauce.
- Put the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the aubergines are very tender and the mozzarella has melted and browned a little. Serve with a green salad.