- Preparation Time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of Butter.
- 1 tablespoon, Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 2 large, Onions, chopped.
- 450 g, Carrots, chopped.
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped.
- 1 tsp, Sugar.
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of Tomato Puree.
- 2 440 tins of chopped tomatoes.
- 6 Bacon rashers, chopped.
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- 250 ml of red wine.
- 6 Chicken Breast.
- Optional mushrooms.
Sweat the onion, celery, carrot, bacon and garlic in the oil and butter for 10 minutes, then turn up the heat so they brown lightly.
Add the sugar, tomato puree, chopped tomatos and red wine, and bring to the boil. Don't cover the pan, keep it bubbling away fro at least 15 minutes. It will reduce into a rich stew.
Once the sauce is made, add the chicken breasts to the sauce and cook for at least 35-40 in the simmering sauce. When the chicken is cooked through, it is ready to serve.
This is a great stew and the sauce can be made in advance.