400kcal or Less Meal Recipes
Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Preparation Time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 30 minutes
- 50g easy cook white or brown rice
- 227g pineapple pieces in natural juice
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 300g skinless uncooked chicken (thigh or breast) cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 peppers, any colour deseeded and cut into chunks
- 3 celery sticks sliced
- 2 tomatoes sliced into wedges
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Put the brown rice on to cook in plenty of boiling water for 30 minutes, or until tender. If using white rice, remember it needs to cook for just 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain the juice from the pineapple into a small bowl or jug. Cut the pineapple rings into chunks. Add the cornflour to the juice and stir until smooth, then mix in the tomato puree and soy sauce. Set to one side.
- 10 minutes before the rice is cooked, heat the oil in a wok or very large frying pan. Add the chicken and s/r-fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onion, pepper and celery to the wok or frying pan. Stir-fry for another 3-4 minutes, then add the tomato wedges and pineapple.
- Stir the pineapple juice mixture, then add it to the wok, stirring until hot and thickened. Season with pepper, then serve with the drained rice.