Creamy Tomato and Basil Soup
- Preparation Time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 30-35 minutes
- 25g of butter
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 900g of plum tomatoes, chopped
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 125ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh torn basil leaves
- 150ml double cream
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish
Melt the butter with the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion and cook, stirring occassionally for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, tomatoes, stir well and season to taste. Partiallly cover the saucepan and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20-25 minutes or until the mixture is soft and pulpy.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, leave to cool slightly, then pour into a blender or food processor. Add the torn basil leaves and process. Push the mixture through a sieve into a clean saucepan with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the cream, reserving a little to swirl on the top. Reheat the soup, but do not let it boil. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls add a swirl of the reserved cream to each, garnish with the basil leaves and serve immediately.