400kcal or Less Meal Recipes
- Preparation Time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 35 minutes
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 peppers, any colour deseeded and chopped
- 300g vegetarian mince
- 420g red kidney beans in water
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 100ml reduced salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 200g easy cook long grain brown rice
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and add the onion. Fry gently for 2-3 minutes, then add the carrot, garlic, chilli and peppers and fry for 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add the frozen mince, mixed beans, tomatoes, tomato puree and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 25-30 minutes. At the same time, put the rice on to cook in plenty of gently boiling water - it will take 25-30 minutes.
- Season the chilli with pepper, then serve in warm bowls with the cooked, drained rice.